SPECIALIZING IN CONTEMPORARY FICTION FOR YOUNG ADULTS
I provide quick, professional critiques focused on giving constructive feedback to writers of all experience levels and genres; however, I specialize in providing the following services for authors of young adult fiction:
* Line Edits
* Substantive Edits
*Full Manuscript Edits
*Social Media Platform Building
*Literary Agent Query Preparation
Please contact me to discuss your project before sending. Generally, I like to meet the author and discuss his/her/their vision for the manuscript prior to agreeing to provide editorial support. My preferred place for meeting is at the Loft Literary Center in Minneapolis; however, if you are not a Minnesota resident, we can speak on the phone or via Skype.
And now for The Deets:
After I have agreed to provide critique for your manuscript, you will be given quote for the project. You may send payment through Square’s Virtual Terminal on my Square Online Store by clicking on the image below:
Please note: all critiques include in-depth editorial letters and thorough line-editing of your work. Critiques can be done electronically or in hard copy. I require:
- A properly formatted manuscript in Word (double spaced, 12pt readable font, numbered pages, contact information and word count on page 1).
- A SASE large enough and with enough postage to return the full manuscript to you along with a critique letter if your manuscript is sent via Snail Mail. (Again, you may send your manuscript to the address listed above.)
I will email you upon receiving your manuscript and payment to let you know they arrived safely. Then, within 2-3 weeks, I will mail/email you:
- A 1-2 page editorial letter giving my general response to your story—its strengths, and the major areas in which it could grow.
- Your line-edited manuscript, marked with comments indicating specific places where your writing is at its best, and suggesting changes in places where the text could be stronger. Emailed manuscripts will be line-edited using “track changes” in Microsoft Word.
- I may also suggest published books that you could study to help you with your piece, or writing craft books that might have useful information for you.
After you have digested my suggestions, I like to meet again (in person, preferably, or via phone of Skype if not possible). No one knows your story better than you and I provide this complementary post-critique meeting to give you a chance to ask questions, seek clarification, brainstorm future steps for your novel, or discuss other ways I can be of assistance to you.
Congratulations on taking a huge step to honor your creative self and invest in your writing!
What other aspiring writers are saying…
“Juliann’s input was critical in helping me see into my character. After working with her, I feel like the people in my books have become real to me in a way they never were before. Writing is so much more fun now because it’s like hanging out with my best friends!”
~ Amber L.
“Best thing I ever did was hire Juliann to critique my manuscript. She’s tough but kind and I did need her to remove my adult voice and let the kids in my book talk. She gave me great feedback in a manner I could listen to and use. And guess what? I just landed a lit agent! YAY! Thank you, Juliann!”
“Juliann is just a bundle of energy, creativity, fun, and pure brain power. She has an intuitive sense of the story and pointed out exactly where my plot was sluggish and I was risking losing readers. Her suggestions were great and they really breathed life into the second act of my book. I finally feel ready to send my book out to agents. Fingers crossed!”
~ Laura J.
“I can’t say enough good things about working with Juliann. I sent my manuscript off to her and worried like a Mama sending her son to Kindergarten for the first day. My book is my baby. Know what I mean? I worried it would be picked on or picked apart or that I’d somehow get called to the Principal’s Office and told my baby was misbehaving! I didn’t need to worry. Juliann’s editorial letter was exactly what I needed. Filled with great insights suggestions for improvement as well as affirming the good things my book has going for it. Most of all, though, I laughed out loud at her crazy funny comments in track changes! She made the process a ton of fun and my manuscript a better book. Thanks, Juliann!”